In short: all the tech Varmers uses is your domain! Engineer away, place sensors where and if you want, tune up the HVAC, relocate lightning; experiment away, but always be able to explain why.
Varmers is a Bangkok based collaboration between different cultures where Dutch technology and Thai ingenuity are combined. Together, we are trying to change the Thai food landscape for the better.
Our goal is to replace most of the Thai grocery departments with affordable locally homegrown organic pesticide-free fresh leafy greens, soft fruits, herbs and micro greens of superior quality all year round.
To do this, we have created our own technological approach and our own modular construction system which allows us to build and maintain new vertical farms every few months. Every vertical farm will have multiple products based on the Thai population’s and the grocery store’s needs.
The Thai population is waiting for this shift. The population is growing, outdoor farming is stressed under rising temperatures and long droughts, the outdoor farmers are moving to big cities to earn more money and smaller cities are rapidly developing into mega cities. This combined gives us the opportunity to build indoor farms fast yet responsibly and to professionalize the farming landscape while maintaining a profitable business model.
As Varmers approaches its first phase of explosive growth, we seek out creative, motivated humans who will join us in disrupting industry standards and lead the way in vertical farming and plant biology breakthroughs to solve, and tackle global issues.
We are looking for people that want to be part of this journey and can contribute with knowledge, skills and solutions.
Work Schedule – 9am-4.30 pm, some weekends and OT may be required
This is an Engineering Technician position with the primary responsibility to build one-of-a-kind prototypes based on designs, drawings and instructions from the Engineering Project Manager. The chosen candidate will be responsible for construction, troubleshooting, testing and commissioning of the systems in addition to working on other capital projects under the direction of a Project Manager.
- Builds prototypes from drawings, sketches, specifications and instructions from the engineer.
- Assists in the construction of mechanical, plumbing and HVAC system and equipment.
- Evaluate constructability of the design and makes recommendations to improve.
- Regularly inspects work to ensure compliance with drawings and specifications.
- Provides suggestions for ways to improve designs, operations and maintenance of systems.
- Collects and records data to ensure components and systems perform according to the specifications.
- Works in compliance with all company food Safety Policies and procedures.
- Runs tests on products and equipment to ensure they function properly.
- Maintains records and files of all completed engineering work.
- Conducts regular maintenance on products and equipment.
- Orders materials, parts, equipment and tools as needed.
- Plans work activities to complete tasks within required schedule dates.
- Maintains a well-organized, clean and safe workplace.
- Works in compliant with all company safety policies and procedures.
- Supports other engineering projects as directed.
Education or Experience
- High School Diploma or Associates Degree in Engineering Technology /related work
- Is able to understand and interpret engineering terminology and read blueprints.
- Possesses a variety of construction and fabrications skills.
- Strong knowledge and experience using hand and power tools including but not limited to band saw, chop saw, impact drill, handheld grinder
- Strong knowledge and experience using Material Handling equipment.
- Knowledge of mechanical, plumbing and HVAC systems.
- Strong analytical thinking, problem solving skills and an aptitude for detail.
- Works well in a team.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Ability to receive deliveries and validate shipping versus received quantities.
- Physical requirements to work on projects may include lifting of up to 50 lbs.
- Site visits may require the ability to climb stairs, walk long distances (more than 100 yards) and stooping, kneeling, or bending for extended periods of time.
You’d need some sort of knowledge of:
- UV specific lamps and entire optics
- Thermal Conductivity, Insulation
- Water management, pumps
- Building sensors + computer analysis
- HVAC installations
- Great monthly pay
- Medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability
- Housing (if needed)
- Plane tickets to home country
- Potential career growth
- Collaboration – we know we cannot fix the world’s problems as an individual, we have to work together as a team to make that happen. Teamwork is how we get there!
- Communication – we are a very small company, we work well together because we communicate well with each other. This way, we involve everyone and everyone’s voice is heard.
- Agility – We want you to make mistakes. Well, not preferred obviously. But we want you to make mistakes, find the mistakes, discuss them and solve them. There is no right or wrong way to do things. There are only goals, the road to these goals can differ.
- Accountability – we don’t micromanage, we hire individuals who know what they need to do and can do so with minimal direction and take ownership of their projects and deadlines.
- Respect – We work with different cultures in and need to respect different people, different ideas, different cultures etc. We can learn so much from each other, but respect is key.
- Empowerment – we provide an environment for growth and development: we need your help to develop our business, we will help you develop in your career, and sky is the limit given our growth plans!