In short: the controller oversees the accounting operations of Varmers. “The books” are your domain. You are the referee of the cash flow, the p&l goalie. You team up with our accounting partner.
Varmers is a Bangkok based collaboration between different cultures where Dutch technology and Thai ingenuity are combined. Together, we are trying to change the Thai food landscape for the better.
To do this, we have created our own technological approach and our own modular construction system which allows us to build and maintain new vertical farms every few months. Every vertical farm will have multiple products based on the Thai population’s and the grocery store’s needs.
The Thai population is waiting for this shift. The population is growing, outdoor farming is stressed under rising temperatures and long droughts, the outdoor farmers are moving to big cities to earn more money and smaller cities are rapidly developing into mega cities. This combined gives us the opportunity to build indoor farms fast yet responsibly and to professionalize the farming landscape while maintaining a profitable business model.
As Varmers approaches its first phase of explosive growth, we seek out creative, motivated humans who will join us in disrupting industry standards and lead the way in vertical farming and plant biology breakthroughs to solve, and tackle global issues.
We are looking for people that want to be part of this journey and can contribute with knowledge, skills and solutions.
Work Schedule – 9am-4.30 pm, some weekends and OT may be required
This job can be: full contract.
The controller manages accounting records and is responsible for the production of financial reports. For Varmers, these reports are required by law for shareholders’ review. The controller is responsible for ensuring that they are issued on time, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and that they fairly and accurately reflect Varmers’ current financial position.
The controller plays a large role in formulating Varmers’ budgets and ensuring that expenses are in line with projected revenue. The job requires ensuring that Varmers makes accounts payable payments on time and that debt is serviced properly.
- Manage day-to-day company accounts
- Assist with financial planning
- Oversee Budget forecasting and cash flow management
- Ensure government compliance in all tasks
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance 5+ years experience in the area
- Proficiency with current financial software
- Understanding of US GAAP
- Great monthly pay
- Medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability
- Housing (if needed)
- Plane tickets to home country
- Potential career growth
- Collaboration – we know we cannot fix the world’s problems as an individual, we have to work together as a team to make that happen. Teamwork is how we get there!
- Communication – we are a very small company, we work well together because we communicate well with each other. This way, we involve everyone and everyone’s voice is heard.
- Agility – We want you to make mistakes. Well, not preferred obviously. But we want you to make mistakes, find the mistakes, discuss them and solve them. There is no right or wrong way to do things. There are only goals, the road to these goals can differ.
- Accountability – we don’t micromanage, we hire individuals who know what they need to do and can do so with minimal direction and take ownership of their projects and deadlines.
- Respect – We work with different cultures in and need to respect different people, different ideas, different cultures etc. We can learn so much from each other, but respect is key.
- Empowerment – we provide an environment for growth and development: we need your help to develop our business, we will help you develop in your career, and sky is the limit given our growth plans!